Popular Tags:

Tips on Getting Rid of Fleas in Dogs

March 29, 2016 at 4:13 am

As the saying goes, a dog is man’s best friend. This pet usually brings immeasurable amounts of joy and liveliness in our homes. However, having the pet around could also bring problems, as dog lovers, what we dread most is seeing our pet stretching its paws to scratch its ear or belly. That behaviour is mostly due to a “Fido” itch caused by flea infestation. Indeed, many dog owners experience a twinge of panic and helplessness when it dawns on them that their dog has a flea infestation. They don’t have the slightest idea on what to do to contain the situation.
However, we have good news for such people. In the rest of the article, we will provide quick and simple tips on how to get rid of fleas in a dog.


Clean up the Dog Regularly

Giving your dog a regular bath using a flea shampoo mixed with neem oil can make a huge impact in warding off the fleas and preventing them from becoming a menace. You can also use a natural flea repellant such as eucalyptus, rosemary and cedar to flush out the fleas from the dog’s fur.

In case you prefer an attacking approach, use a flea comb to trap the fleas. The fine teeth of the comb trap the fleas with each stroke. After each stroke, dip the comb in water treated with flea chemical to kill them instantly. After each comb stroke, the dog’s skin might get irritated. Use aloe vera oil to soothe the area and prevent infection.

Remove the Fleas from the House and the Yard

During the flea’s life cycle, roughly 5% of fleas stay on the dog while the other 95% live in the house or the yard. This means that getting rid of fleas on the dog is not the only step. The probability of the dog contacting the fleas again is very high if the house and the yard are still infested. Vacuum cleaning is the safest way of flushing out fleas from the house. You can also try natural powders available in the market for home use.

Consider a Healthy Diet for the Dog

Fleas enjoy staying on malnourished dogs with a defenseless immune system. A carefully selected diet laden with the best ingredients to fight off any form of disease or pest is crucial in this case. For example, you should not feed the dog with a raw diet. You should also try to avoid foods with chemical preservatives and instead prioritize meat as the first ingredient.

For best results, consider adding garlic or brewer’s yeast to the dog’s food in powder or tablet form. Garlic and brewer’s yeast emit toxic and unfriendly chemicals to the fleas. When excreted through the skin, the fleas will be flushed out of the skin due to the inhabitable conditions.

Prescription Medication

It is often a good decision to contact the vet about the situation and consider medicinal options. There are numerous types of medicine on the market that have strong formula capable of killing fleas within seconds. Strictly follow the instructions indicated by the vet to avoid problems.

In conclusion, fleas are harmful pets that can make your dog’s life very uncomfortable. In large quantities, fleas can kill a dog especially the young puppies. The best thing you can do is to keep this loving pet safe and free from parasites using the tips mentioned above.